Tuesday, November 14, 2006

News from the Front

Today has turned out to be a pretty good day (and I’m not even half way through it yet). Just after lunch, I received an e-mail from the folks responsible for creating the student e-mail accounts at McGill University. It looks like I’ve been accepted into Part-time and Continuing Studies for the Certificate in Translation (French to English) program that I had applied to earlier! Hurrah!

Now how does this fit into my grand scheme? Well, I’ve always been a bit of a worrier and since I can’t claim to have loads of job security at the moment, I thought I would take something that could add to my skill set. There’s bound to be a market for someone who can translate French to English in this province. Sure, I could have taken something a wee bit more practical, but what fun would that be? Besides, this also leads back into my explorations of Quebecois culture and would assist me in reading through primary sources should I succeed in my attempt to get into grad studies.

I’ve also recently joined a gym and have managed to get through 3 workouts so far. With any luck, I’ll manage to get back to a dainty 200 lbs sometime in the new year (I’m not going to hazard a guess as to how far through the new year it’ll be, though). So overall, I’ve got some pretty positive things happening. Lastly, voting begins tomorrow for the First Round of voting for the Canadian Blog Awards. Please feel free to show your support for ol’ Al B Here. Til next time…

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And good luck with your application to be on the special Canadian edition of that popular U.S. television show. I'm sure you'll be a stellar contestant on Canada's Next Top Model. Maybe you and Jeanne Bekker will hit it off and every aspect of your life will fall into place in the same calendar year. Congrats on the school thingy too.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! but seriously, was there ever any doubt?

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, you might want to let your readers know that those interested in voting for you for a blog award can do so each day. Readers aren't limited to a single vote for the run on the voting. I voted for you in the category of "Best use of the word 'unfettered.'"

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And "Miss Congeniality" too!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Al B Here said...

Yeah, I know people can vote every day and there are certainly those who've been urging their readers to stuff the ballot box à la Major League Baseball's All-Star voting, but if I manage to get to round 2, I wanted it to be because people thought the content of the site was worthy. So my readers are free to vote however many times they want, but for my part, I've voted just once.

And to Lina, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I never like to take anything for granted. :-)

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Practical considerations aside, maybe the multiple vote format shows that fan dedication is an appropriate metric. If someone goes out of their way to vote 43 times, it might be a sign that the blog has truly made an impact. It's really no different than the rumour that Al spent 17 nights straight sleeping in the parking lot of the New PL, A Channel now, to get a glimpse of weather girl Suzy Burge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home