Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Apprehension and Anticipation

My mini-cassette recorder is still sitting on the living room coffee table. Beside it, one will find a UWO clipboard with some quotes scribbled on the lined paper contained therein. I don’t think I’ve ever been more apprehensive about finishing an article in my life. Seriously. I know that my half hour interview with Bernard Landry isn’t anything monumental in the grand scheme of things, but I want to do a good job with it.

Now every time I sit down and press play on the player, my mind starts racing. What if my questions all sucked? What if I’ve got absolutely nothing of value out of the interview? Did I just blow a golden opportunity that few writers or reporters get afforded? And while I’m sure my readership is less judgemental (Morgan is, of course, excluded from this comment) than I am of my work, I still want to put something of substance out there. However, in saying that, it occurs to me that shit is still a substance…

In other news, I’ll be taking an entrance exam this coming Thursday in the hopes of entering a part-time certificate program in Translation at McGill University. The department is structured a wee bit differently than what I’m accustomed to at Western, insofar as the types of courses one is eligible to take is limited, but I wanted to do something to keep my mind active and perhaps meet some people. And if I managed to get a certificate out of the deal, then all the better, right? Plus, it gives me a classroom setting to work on my French again. So that’s what I’m up to. Til next time…

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop that, you are an excellent writer and you know it. :) best of luck with the exam!

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the impression that many of your other friends are merely happy that you have a hobby that keeps you out of the nudie bars. I, on the other hand, want you to achieve your goal of becoming a professional writer so that you can afford to spend more time in the nudie bars AND be given the VIP table.

Knock out that interview. I have no doubt it will be worth a read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home