Monday, August 21, 2006

Quebec City Jumping Frogs

Leave it to the marketing folks of the ABA to walk headlong into a controversy. Apparently some genius decided it would be a great idea to name the new franchise in Quebec City the Jumping Frogs. As we’ve seen in the comments of this very blog, the term “frog” is used as a derogatory term for French speakers. In this era of political correctness, why would anyone think this was a good idea? It would be similar to putting a sports franchise in the heart of Manhattan’s Little Italy and calling them the WOPs. No one would stand for that.

So tell me, what’s the difference between the use of Jumping Frogs and, say, the Washington Redskins? Both are derogatory terms used for a group of people, though I would think that the Redskins moniker is a lot more offensive, given that the term is a racial slur versus an ethnic slur. I know I’m splitting hairs here, since both are offensive to people. I can’t really defend the use of either name for the franchises, regardless of the fact that Washington’s team has been around for decades and has a strong tradition attached to it.

When choosing the name of a sports franchise or mascot, franchises would often take on names that would represent characteristics with which they wanted to be associated. So I suppose that, in the case of Redskins, they were going for the “noble warrior” angle or perhaps “savage ferocity.” Maybe I’ll look into that at some point. For me, I think less about the fact that Redskin is a term for a Native American and more about the fact that their jerseys are red.

I really don’t care, one way or the other, about the use of the name Jumping Frogs, but it seems to me that, from a business standpoint, someone’s got their head buried firmly in their ass. This is a new franchise so one would hope that the owners were trying to attract a fanbase to the product. Surely there has to be a better way to do that than insulting the target market. So now it’s time for another round of audience participation. Please feel free to sound off aboutsports teams using racially or ethnically questionable terms. Til next time…

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger OlmanFeelyus said...

What really surprised me is that the owner, whom I think came up with the name, is french-canadian, from Québec.

Slurs aside, it is just a bad name. It's redundant (the whole point of frogs is that they jump), too long, has no resonance or power. Bizarre, bizarre choice. So many other cool options in Quebec.

Yes, the redskins is totally racist, but it was put in place when that kind of crap was acceptable. It's a lot harder to change an established name than create a new one.

btw, have you gone to any Matrix games? I think that could be a blast.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Al B Here said...

To be honest, I have't heard of the Matrix. It never even occurred to me that Montreal would have a basketball team outside of the universities. I'll have to take a better look once the season starts.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger OlmanFeelyus said...

http://www.montrealmatrixbasketball.com/

There were some politics and ownership issues last year, so I hope they are still around, because the site hasn't been updated in a while. Probably better than the Knicks, anyways.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Al B Here said...

Couldn't help but be better than the Knicks. Thanks for the link. Just goes to show how much I have to leanrn about the city. Thanks for the link on your blog, aussi.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Marc PAGEAU said...

It is the first time that I see the logo. It looks cool!
But, you are damn right : the name is very bad chosen...

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey buddy I am glad I brought this up too you. Sadly Racist names have been around in the sporting community for ages... from the Cleveland indians with chief wahoo and the braves with the tomahawk chop. What we have seen through this is time and time again that the community protests for abit then recedes and it becomes allowed. I would hope that this time that is not the case but we being canadians if they take our pens away, what are we too prtest with?

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should the quebecois be upset by the team name or that the name isn't in French?

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the original name of the team mascot was clearly inappropriate, "Pith the Frog."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home