Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Tim Minchin - Dark side


Alright, alright, alright. I’m addicted. I’ve admitted it. Are you happy now? Despite the oppressive heat that, thankfully, has recently broken, I love this time of year in Montreal, mainly because of the Just For Laughs festival (and Quebecois girls in skimpy outfits). I had originally planned to spend another quiet evening at home, perhaps doing dishes or watching TV, but mid-afternoon I decided to check the Last Minute Tickets section of the Just For Laughs site and see what was available. And lo and behold, I find that there are still seats available for Tim Minchin’s show! Guess I had plans after all, eh?

Like virtually all of the acts that I’ve seen thus far at the festival, I had no clue who this guy was, but the way I figure it, he wouldn’t be invited here all the way from Australia if he didn’t bring something to the table. The show wasn’t sold out, by any means, but that’s more an indication of his name recognition (or lack thereof) rather than the quality of the show. Minchin is a musician who manages to mix in some stand-up comedy along the way. It’s pretty clear to me that he’s spent far more time as a musician than a comedian, but he’s got potential. He won the Perrier Comedy award for Best newcomer at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2005 to give you a bit more background.

Minchin spends a little over an hour singing about things like inflatable dolls, using canvas bags instead of plastic at the supermarket and the need for a good peace anthem for the Israeli-Palestinian conflicts. While I can’t say I was doubled over in laughter throughout the show, I had a good time and would see him again. His quirky stage persona adds volumes to the show. Trust me, he’s just as bizarre as he seems from the picture. It’ll be interesting to see if he gains more of a following after this stint in Montreal. Keep your eyes and ears open. He’s worth seeing. Til next time…

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home