Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Initial Observations on the CBAs

So now that first round voting has closed, I decided to take a closer look at some of the blogs in my favorite category of the Canadian Blog Awards: Best Cultural Blog. I guess my definition of “culture” must differ considerably from those who made or regulate the nominations because in my opinion, most of them don’t actually qualify. Granted, I didn’t go through each entry with a fine toothed comb, but it seems to me that, of the other nominees, the one that’s most reflective of the category would have to be African Perspective. Right behind that would be Arrogant Polyglot. While the other blogs are well done and certainly have their merits, I sincerely believe that there is a difference between politics and culture. The same can be said of sexual orientation.

Perhaps the inclusion of the other nominees is more a reflection of the desire to have a wider field for first round. After all, what fun would it be to have only 3 nominations in a category? I agree with the concept of having multiple rounds for the competition if only because of the sheer volume of candidates for any given category. I’m still shocked at how many political blogs are out there. I’ve tried to read a few of them, but the only one that actually held my attention for more than 10 seconds was Rants from the Moderate Separatist. I don’t agree with much he has to say on the blog, but it still makes for a pretty good read. I also find it interesting to read the perspective of a different sort of separatist than I encounter here.

At any rate, the results will be posted tomorrow, so I would like to offer my congratulations to any blogger who managed to successfully escape the first round of voting. I’m hoping to be one of them, but I won’t be holding my breath on that one. Good luck in future rounds! Til next time…

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Results of round 1 are up. It's the nomination that counts.

Keep doing your thing.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Outerworlds said...

You have a nice writing style and I find the idea of your blog interesting, i.e. Quebec seen by an out-of-the-province person. I also enjoyed reading your post on dating advices for women. I actually discovered this post only when I went on the contest web page.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Al B Here said...

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement. I didn't make the cut, but I'm not particularly discouraged. Whether I've gained any new readers as a result of this contest is anyone's guess, but at least more people dropped by.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a look at the nominees for Best Blog. If those are the best Canada has to offer, our country should be banned from the Internet.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Al B Here said...

You're not wrong... I've often wondered what makes some of these sites such "cult phenomena". But I'm not a sociologist or anthropologist so I'll probably never figure it out.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who should get a vote for Best Blog in the Canadian Blog Awards?
There's the blog that basically lists the stuff in the flyers that I throw out each week. Getting 50 cents off 18 large pepperoni pizzas or receiving 10% off a travel mug with the logo of a dry cleaning shop do not qualify as deals. I'll vote for that blog when they start listing sources for Nike, Canon, and Heinekin at wholesale or Scion at dealer cost. The next option is the blog that recycles music news including youTube clips. Cut out the middleman. Unfortunately, youTube isn't Canadian and isn't a blog so I can't give it a vote. For 2 of the nominees, I have no idea what they are trying to say or accomplish. All I know is that they should put their lives up for auction on eBay and be absolutely thrilled if anyone bids more than a buck. The final option is to vote for a pudgy, albeit slightly cute, naked girlie with a mouth like a sewer. Teen angst in its twenties. I guess we know how Raymi took the voting in round 1. Too bad there isn't a button to vote for none of the above -unless Raymi steps up with some cute friends.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good try Al! We will toast your effort in a couple weeks

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words! Even tho we don't end up on the same side of many issues, it's cool that we can still respect each other's work.

Leigh Patrick Sullivan
'The Moderate Separatist'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home