Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Capitulation

Ok, I surrender! I've been trying my best to get a good handle on the interview material, but I'm just not fluent enough to pick out all the words when I'm trying to do the quotes. The quality of the recording doesn't help, either, that's for sure. So now I'm left with the choice of just saying, "Screw it!" and posting the whole thing in English, or swallowing a pretty hefty charge to get the recording transcribed so I can get this puppy done. The typical anglo response would be to just do the whole thing in English and forget about the potential francophone audience who might stumble upon this when looking for news of their favorite band. I'm not ready to do that yet.

One of the things that I find so hypocritical about us, as Canadians, is that we seem proud of the idea we come from a "bilingual country", but to be honest, that isn't the case at all. The fact is, we have 2 large populations (one larger than the other) who speak 2 separate languages. Very recently, a biopic of the life of Maurice Richard was released in Ontario and, according to the review, the film includes subtitles for the French dialogue. While I acknowledge that it's necessary to help the English audience understand, I still find it pretty sad. I wonder if there are subtitles for the English dialogue in the Quebecois version...

On a positive note, I was impressed to see that the Toronto Sun bothered to take notice of the Montreal group Malajube in a recent article. We're so oblivious to what goes on inside the Quebec border. No wonder there's such fervor to the separatist movement. Would we even really notice they were gone if they left? I'll pick up this topic again, no doubt, but I wanted to give OJ his blog fix for the day.

4 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Je crois que j'ai rien compris à cette histoire. Je dois pas assez lire ton blog. C'est quoi que tu veux trancrire pour un public francophone????

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Al B Here said...

Ma chère Vanessa... il faut que tu lises mon blog plus souvent. J'ai fait une entrevue avec Biz du groupe Loco Locass il y a quelques semaines, mais j'ai beaucoup de difficulté avec la qualité d'enregistrement, alors je ne peux pas continuer sans aide.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oj's blog fix for the day... funny! Well, I hope he enjoys it :-p
As for me... I don't really have an opinion about it either way... *shrugs*

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

I have a brilliant idea! why not just post the audio file and people can just listen to it??? if you don't have the equipment to do it, i'm sure it would cost *MUCH* less than transcription services.
Bonne chance mon ami
jenna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home