Monday, March 27, 2006

What's In a Name?

I’m sure by now that you’ve noticed the moniker I’ve been using on here since I started this little site, so I thought I would shed some light on how and why I chose the name I did. I’ve had surprisingly few nicknames over the years, so there wasn’t an automatic choice. Of course my Fraternity brothers would likely bring up one that, despite their best efforts, never quite stuck, at least to my face. It had to do with certain lapses in judgement on my part at a few of our parties but, needless to say, wouldn’t exactly be what I would consider appropriate for an online identity.

Inspired by the rather clever title of Paige’s blog, C’est What? (Yes, I’m mentioning her site again; deal with it.), I decided I needed something catchy. That’s when it hit me: Al B Sure. I would now like to apologize for the disappointment I’ve been causing fans of the 80s R&B singer who occasionally surf by, hoping for news of their beloved artist. As you can tell, I’m not him. I get a little extra traffic out of using it but since I’m not making any money off this endeavour, I think the gods of trademark infringement will cut me some slack.

Truth be told, I have been called Al B Sure in the past. It was back in the eleventh grade, if memory serves. Chris’ uncle Bob had rented out a local elementary school gymnasium with a few old friends in order to get in some exercise, so to make things more interesting, he invited out his sons and nephew, which then led to me joining in on the fun. I think that regular readers of my blog know that basketball is a passion of mine, well this how my illustrious playing career got started.

I’ve never been one to massage my own ego (or ID or super-ego for that matter), so I’ll admit it: I’m not a good basketball player. I never learned the basic fundamentals in a team environment, so at that point I was far less coordinated than someone who’d been playing for years. My shots would have so much backspin on them that the guys would swear they could hear a buzzing sound after I let the ball go. I like to think I’ve improved a fair bit since then, though I would probably still be the 8th man on a high school basketball team. Every team needs someone who can deliver the hard foul, after all.

I was a pretty sharp contrast to Chris’ cousins and their friends, who each played basketball at some level prior to our weekly battles. I’m not sure if it was Mike or Todd who gave me the nickname Al B Sure. Just an FYI, Mike is Chris’ cousin and Todd was a buddy of his from grade school. Looking back, I shudder at the handle Todd gave himself: Darkman. Good thing he came up with that one himself, otherwise we’d all be in a heap of trouble. Imagine a group of white kids naming the only black player “Darkman”? Geez.

At any rate, I was Al B to them. Come to think of it, the name may have come from repeated exasperation at my poor on-court decision-making. “Al! Why the hell are you taking that shot?!? BE SURE next time!!!” Ah well. At least I had fun, right? So it’s with these fond memories in mind that I took up the mantle of Al B Sure and named my site Al B Here For You. So there you have it… til next time!

7 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, isn't that an interesting lil tidbit. Hmmm... Does that mean if I were to invite you over for a rousing lil game of 1 on 1 b-ball, I'd win?? *hehehe*

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Voix said...

Al, you're a kind and gentle soul, one can tell -- but that photo is TERRIFYING.

Seriously.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Al B Here said...

That's the product of a few too many beers after the Piston's Game 7 loss to the Spurs in the 2005 NBA Finals. I'm only smiling on the outside in that picture.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Voix said...

I figured it had to be some such. Still trying to figure out that sports fandom thing. A mystery to me.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't go with Albeatroglodyte, or allikesbouncingtitties. I guess it's like they say the more things change...

 
At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You TOTALLY suck...yes, I am very disappointed to see you on this website. Afterall, you did steal an R&B singer's name and OF COURSE I expected to see the real (and ONLY) Al B. Sure's information on this site. He should sue you and make you shut this site down...he probably hasn't because he wouldn't waste his time on you.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Al B Here said...

The word "ouch" comes to mind... looks like the ol' R&B singer has some pretty passionate fans, despite the fact that he really hasn't done anything in years...

In light of this, I'm going to switch to the moniker "Al B Here" from now on, just so there won't be any more confusion amongst his rabid fans... though I must say that Mr. Anonymous really should relax. This is just a blogsite, after all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home