Thursday, April 20, 2006

Transcription Services (or lack thereof) in Montreal

If this were the Boston Globe, I’d have been long since fired. Thankfully, this is not the Boston Globe and deadlines are pretty much set by me and my energy level. That being said, I’ve been remiss in my writing duties and, no doubt, disappointing my ardent following of 3 faithful readers. I could come up with any number of excuses, but I think that one will suffice: I’ve been lazy. Regardless of how much I enjoyed doing the interview with Biz, I’ve found the inevitable task of pouring through the micro cassette recording to be less than appealing. So I’ve been investigating alternate means.

Last time out, I did a full transcription, word for word, of my conversation. However that was in English. That’s just not going to happen this time. I took a giant leap forward by doing the interview en français, but now I’ve been left of the daunting task of going through a mediocre-quality recording to pick out interesting quotes, in French, and then translating them for my readers. I can already hear Morgan telling me to “Suck it up! This is what you wanted, remember?” And he’s right (he has an annoying habit of being right). But before leaping headlong into this task, I felt it was only prudent to explore what else may be available. That means: transcription services!

From what I’ve been able to find, there are only a handful of transcription services in Montreal. And let me tell you, it’s a good gig if you can get in on it. There was one company (who shall remain nameless) that charged $0.10 per word. Yes, you read that correctly. So essentially, a one hour interview would likely cost in excess of $900 to have transcribed (plus applicable taxes, of course). The word “ouch” comes to mind, along with several other rather colourful metaphors. Another, charged by the audio hour. Okay, now we’re talking here. Their rate? $300 US per audio hour, plus the recording would have to be sent to New York (despite the existence of a Montreal office). Additional fees would be incurred if the quality of recording is lousy (which it is). The last company seems to be, more or less, a local entrepreneur. She charges $4.50 per audio minute, but because she’s moving offices, nothing would be ready before May 1. Definitely the most reasonable, that’s for sure, but given the fact that I want to put things out in a somewhat timely fashion, she’s not an option.

So essentially, I’m back to square one. Al, his micro cassette recorder, and a notepad. With any luck, it’ll be ready to go this weekend. Til next time…

9 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are back says reader number 1

 
At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay the $900, you have that kind of expendible cash right?? I mean, the profits from the blog alone should cover it.


(HAHA).

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Ciarra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Ciarra said...

You just made my decision to become a medical transcriptionist. Wow, 900.00 I could deal with that... I have forgotten all my french since my grandfather died when I was young and he was the only one that would speak french with me, and my parents don't speak it. If I remembered then I would do it for free :-)

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I can't be much assistance to you either... You KNOW the extent of my French speaking skills *lol*

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude get a new post

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... OJ's pretty demanding, eh Al??? *lol*
But he's right... we need more to read :-p

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I am starting a hunger strike until a new post.... today is day 1, who's with me?
By the way princess, I am cute demanding and modest

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*lol* Good to know, oj... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home