Thursday, November 23, 2006

American Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to my American audience! Though I’m sure you’re all too busy stuffing yourself with turkey to read this, I thought I would recognize it anyway. Today is a special day for ol’ Al because he gets a chance to watch his beloved Detroit Lions put on the throw-back uniforms and get smoked by their former quarterback and his new team, the Miami Dolphins. I’ve opted to take a(n unpaid) half day off so I can take in the carnage and enjoy a bit of rest.

I wish I had a good explanation for why my team is doomed to season after season of embarrassing performances, but sadly, I have none. Alright, I have one. They’re a bad team. Being a bad team encompasses so much, ranging from poor draft selections to boneheaded front office moves to the play on the field itself. As much as I want to believe they’re underachieving and the victims of unfortunate circumstances, close to a decade of futility has splashed a bit of water on my face.

That being said, I’m not about to jump ship and abandon my team. I’ve lived through the decades of pathetic Tiger baseball and a chunk of the 90s where Detroit Basketball meant a fire sale of talent and/or early playoff exits. So one of these years, the Lions will turn it around and I’ll be able to proudly sport my home jersey (or perhaps my other home jersey) more than once a year. Until that time, number 54 stays in the closet, only to see the light of day on the American Thanksgiving. Enjoy the game! Til next time…

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You already know the answer. How does a fish rot?

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The day after Harper's "Quebec is a nation" motion, and all you have to talk about is your Detroit Lions? For shame!

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I was big in London once as well!

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lions are the tougher problem to fix. After all, Montreal has a pretty good CFL team.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home